Review -Prima Amigo + Menz PowerLock on my R35 GTR

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by domino, Sep 26, 2010.

1. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

Hi guys

Took advantage of the sunny warm spring weather to clean and seal my car on the back of having done the Blackfire Wet Ice Kit a month earlier

Pre-rinse - BH Autofoam in WG Foam Gun @ 8%
    Wash Body - Lusso Autobathe
    Wash Wheels/Underbody - DG 901 (wheels wearing CK RMG/VMG + CMW)
    Tyres dressed with PB B&B
    Glass - Stoner

First up Prima Amigo. Great paint cleaner. Ive had some experience with it before on my wheels so knew what to expect - absolute one swipe removal. I applied it via DA on a white LC CCS pad. I chose white because i wanted a little more bite out of the cleaner to cut through any old wax remaining after the pre-rinse. I did find the Amigo gunks up the pad, so i washed it out 5 times throughout the detail.

I hydrated the pad with Prima Slick which ive found does make the pad glide a bit easier over the paint, and this was important as the Amigo is a little grabby on the paint, not as oily as Clearkote RMG/VMG but its fillling ability is definitely a step above the Clearkote twins. I ran the DA both horizontally and vertically over each panel to maximise the filling ability.

I applied it in 3 sections, and wiped off after around 10 mins. The finish looked very much like a sealant, it had gloss and clarity but did lack the depth/carnauba style finish you get from the Clearkote glazes. So the CK is still my fav cleaner/glaze

Some pics of the Amigo....

[​IMG]

Hazing after about 5 mins of application

[​IMG]

And finish after all product residue wiped off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now time to apply the Menzerna PowerLock. Again ive had experience with this product already on my wheels, and removal is just as one swipe easy as Amigo.

I applied the PowerLock via DA with a black LC CCS pad and it went on super smooth. I was suprised how far i could spread the product before needing to add more to the pad. It doesnt go on oily, but it doesnt grab the paint either

I let it stand for 15 mins, buffed off and was shocked with the finish. The gloss was a step up, there's a little depth in there too but but what truely dominates the look is the clarity and reflections. The reflectivity is unbelievable, and as good as i remember Z2-Pro looking on black after you've layered it about 3 times. I hope ive captured the reflections in my pics.

Im not a sealant man at all, and ill most likely layer it with my Naviwax next weekend to test it, but i gotta give this stuff the credit it deserves. It went on easy, it set quickly, wiped off easy and there's no cloudiness or hazing in the finish regardless of where i had applied it a bit thick in places. This will be my go to sealant from now on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and wheeled outside. Car was a little dusty by this time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. superchargedg

superchargedg Virgin Detailer

Looks awesome!

3. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

That looks very nice.

4. tfonseca

tfonseca Virgin Detailer

Looks very reflective indeed.

Did you tried already HD Cleanse by DA? I found it very impressive on black and very easy to use and the ability to hide/correct is quite good.

I LOVE you car :worship2:

5. metajames

metajames Birth of a Detailer

Powerlock is good stuff, my favorite sealant hands down and durability is excellent.

My black car is wearing powerlock prepped with prima amigo, topped with signature series II and the results are amazing.

6. domino

^im debating now whether to top it with naviwax or souveran - both waxes i havent tested yet

i havent tried my HDC + Zymol yet, im planning on using them next correction

7. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

I agree with you Domino. I was pretty impressed with Amigo. It was a breeze to use.

8. domino

i still say the Clearkote twins give a better finish on black

i also tried the DG 901 for the first time, and that smell is verrryyy Zaino

i already worked out the DG leather cleaner and conditioner is Z9+Z10, and their AW is Z8, but this confirms the Zaino line-up is definitely DG

for the powerlock fans, would there be any benefit in looks if i layered it?

9. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

You and that car need to get a room....

There's two different viewpoints when it comes to layering, first that layering doesn't do anything because the movement will remove or degrade the layers underneath, and the second with two sub-categories. Some people have layered 50+ layers of Zaino and other products and claim it does wonders, and some people claim that layering up to 8 is the magic number where there is no more aesthetic or durability improvement.

10. domino

must be a chinese thing....

11. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Lol, I have no idea. I usually just do a coat until it fades a bit and then strip and repeat.

12. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

car looks great.

love power lock ....the best part is washing a power locked car with opt carwash atleast . dirt just floats off and the mitt/sponge glides over the car

13. metajames

metajames Birth of a Detailer

Adding a second layer of powerlock improves the slickness and durability for me but I think any improvement is minimal from a appearance standpoint. Someone else may have another opinion though, I've never done more than 2 coats.

14. dogma

dogma Guest

Car looks awesome !!

I love both vmg/rmg topped with CMW and Amigo topped with either Epic or Hydro.

try Amigo only letting it cure for a hour then Hydro. I find that combo very similar to the CK combo.
    I also love Epic ,I wonder how it compares to power lock ?

For me I would put the Prima line against almost anything. The best part is its soooo easy to use and its virtually mistake proof.

15. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

The car looks excellent!

I recently picked up dodo juice lime prime (both versions) If you are looking for the carnaube look, give it a try. And very easy to use.

16. domino

i have lime prime and will use it when i get around to testing my purple haze and supernatural

ive been a bit put off testing lime prime on solid black because of the talk on UK forums about it inducing swirls

however i did use it on my dad's 16M without any issues - the GTR paint is soooo much softer though

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum...ion/14102-dodo-lime-prime-rubbish-boys-oe.htm

next detail on the GTR will be a full correction using the Prima Swirl + Finish, and ill test out HDC and Glasur, sometime towards the end of the year

17. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

18. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Looks great :thumb:

19. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

The car just flat out looks sick !!!!!!! Awesome !!!!!!!!

20. domino

thanks for the feedback fellas

after testing the naviwax on the little smart car, ive decided to use that to top PL next wash

the sheeting of the naviwax is simply laughable, im going to have to video it in action. Best sheeting ive seen from any of my LSPs so far