canon t2i vs nikon d90

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by nyrep1, Sep 1, 2010.

1. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

anyone have or use this canon. what are your thoughts ? i have my heart set on the nikon d90 but am considering this one as well after using one the other day.

i love the way the d90 feels ....very solid and "pro" like ...i have really big hands and the canon is just small. but the lcd screen is better on canon, the canon is cheaper and all my friends shoot with canons so i will have many lenses to play with free of charge. i dont think i will ever use the live view functions. the video i may use only because i love being able to use a shallow focus in artsy type videos.

the canon menu system is also super easy seems like i figured it out in 10 minutes.

i hate spending money and like to buy something one time. not into upgrading so i want a dslr i can be happy with for 3-5 years and not feel like i have outgrown it. i dont mind upgrading if the tech changes but i hate upgrading b/c i bought the wrong item.

i have photography experience i shot with a minolta x700 slr for years and switched to digital with a sony v1, dcs h1, i know the basics just dont have dslr experience.

any opinions are welcome

o and it will be used mostly for auto photographs and family

2. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

i was faced with the same decision a few months back accept in my case it was:

Canon T2i vs Nikon D5000

I have been a Nikon fan from the beginning but when the T2i came out i wanted to check it out. I went down messed around with it, held it, shot a couple photos and checked through the menus and hated it. It didn't feel right in my hand, the menu to me was all over the place and very disorganized.

In the end you need to get what feels right to you. Don't get something just because all your buddies have it because in the end you may not be happy. Just think of it as a benefit that you can swap lenses but don't let that be a deciding factor.

Nikons blow the Canons out of the water in night shits. The amount of visible grain in lower light situations can really be seen in the canons and less in Nikons which is why i went with the D5000. The D90 however is a bitch'n camera. Maybe one day i'll scoop that but for now i'm really happy with my Nikon D5000. One thing that makes a huge difference in photo quality is not only the sensor on the camera but higher quality lenses. Don't let the camera feature real you in either because from what i have read and not personally tried the camera features on both cameras are not real great. If you want to take videos get a dedicated video camera.

3. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

Though I'm a Nikon guy all the way (D700, D3S), it probably boils down to what works for you. The thoughts on mixing still shots and video capability in one body "irks" me a bit--maybe because I'm somewhat of a purist. If you want a video camera, get a video camera.

One thought that's pretty much agreed on is buy the best glass you can, regardless of whether you go with Canon or Nikon.

HTH

4. DanPonjican

DanPonjican Birth of a Detailer

I have the T2i and am continually blown away with what this camera can do. It has 90% of the functionality of the higher end Canon 7D for half the price. Nikon is no slouch but I think Canon makes the best glass.

5. Bunky

Bunky Guest

As said above, buy the camera that feels right in your hand and works for you. I have a D90 and when I picked it up and played around with it for 30 seconds I knew I wanted that camera. I had used a Nikon D70s and did not like it very much for some reason before the D90 came out. I really like the low ISO in the Nikon but either camera is going to take great pictures with good lenses.

If you are going to leave it on "A" then it really does not matter. BTW, I would not share my lenses with friends.

6. AZN_C300

AZN_C300 Birth of a Detailer

I love my D90. D300 components at nearly half the price. Nikon lens will be slightly more expensive than Canon ones though, and Canon has better third party support quality imo, but I stick with OE Nikon parts and Lens anyways.

7. agentf1

agentf1 Jedi Nuba

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my Nikon D90. I highly recomend it.

8. k1msta

k1msta Guest

[​IMG]
    enough said :giggle:

9. Cooter

Cooter Guest

Cool pic man!!!!!!

Man, thats alot of $$$ in some lenses right there!!

10. Denzil

Denzil Guest

If I were you, I would just get whatever you feel more comfortable with.

I originally had my heart set on a Nikon as my first DSLR but then I switched to the Canon XSi for various reasons.

11. Bunky

Bunky Guest

I would also recommend that no matter which brand you get look at getting a body and make the lens decision separately. For the Nikon D90, the standard kit lens is the 18 to 105 which is a good lens but some want the 18-200. If you buy a D3000/D5000, I would opt for the 18 to 105 rather than the kit lens.

If you look at brands like Tamron, Sigma, etc. be sure to try them first. If you go to slrgear dot com you can see reports (lab and user).