1. dpopkin

dpopkin Virgin Detailer

hay whats up everyone im new to the forum and nw to detailing i been doing it for about a year now i am stepping it up to buffing and wanted to get more into it i see that alot of people are using a flex i was wondering how people are liking them. i use a portable now and wanted to get some thing a lil more aggressive. comments welcome i will put pic of what ice done up

2. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

i have had both flex rotaries since last year and they are awesome, so smooth and beautifully weighted

3. Dial Up

Dial Up Birth of a Detailer

+1 on Flex rotary 3403

light weight tool serves its purpose :headbang:

4. dpopkin

dpopkin Virgin Detailer

I have a cyclo and a dewalt and don't really like them I use my portacable a lot more

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have all three Flex's and use the 3403 Lightweight rotary regularly. I keep the 603 rotary as a backup but don't use the 3401 DA . I just don't like it. Between the 3403 and my PC7424, I can do pretty much anything.

6. dpopkin

dpopkin Virgin Detailer

how do u thin the XC3401 is

7. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

8. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Orbital Buffer

The Flex XC 3401 VRG (7.5 Amp electric motor) would be the best option prior to stepping-up to a rotary polisher (Rotary 101, if you will); this tool was made for paint correction (used by EU car manufacturers, much like the Cyclo is in the for US production line paint correction) it is far superior in its paint correction abilities than a Porter-Cable (PC) Ultimate Detailing Machine (UDM) however it will not make paint corrections as fast or as thoroughly as a rotary polisher.

Like all tools there is a learning curve with it, so first gain experience on a paint surface that doesn’t matter i.e. a scrap panel, practice until you feel confident enough in its use and capabilities to use it on your own vehicle. The immediate future in automotive clear coat paint is something very similar to CeramiClear i.e. very hard.

The Flex has the ability to correct this type of hard paint, whereas a PC requires a quite a few passes to correct them, and also struggles to breakdown diminishing abrasives (something else that car care products are going over too) as it doesn't provide sufficient friction)

Porter-Cable 7424 XP (4.5 Amp electric motor) - a US power tool company, Porter-Cable established in 1914, began manufacturing an electrically operated Variable-Speed Random-Orbit Sander in the 1990s for the wood-working industry, now one of the most popular tools used by professional and enthusiast automotive detailers alike. Often known by the companies initials PC (Porter-Cable) but also called a ROB (random orbital buffer) or DA (duel action) polisher

The random orbital buffer gets its name from the action of the buffer (or polishing head) This operates by the shaft rotating and spinning the back plate on an orbit radius or an eccentric offset (or throw) of 5/32-inch as opposed to a revolution on a direct-drive system, and within this eccentric orbit it also rotates in very small circles

The random orbital buffer operates with a variable speed, user adjustable, from 2,500 – 6,000 orbits per minute. (Speed # 1-5 also have a half speed setting) The application of detailing products with a random orbital has the advantage of ensuring an even pressure and constant contact speed, mimicking free hand motion but at a far greater speed. By allowing the weight and the random motion of the machine do the work, thus ensuring that the product is applied in a thin even layer, and will allow products to get embedded deeper into the paint film surface's porosity.

Apply wax or polish at speed 3, remove polish at speed 5-5.5 (I would not advice using speed 6 for long periods due to heat generated to the Velcro® on the backing plate may cause delaminating of the glue that adheres the Velcro® to the foam pad. A random orbital buffer won't leave swirl or buffer marks on your paint. That's because it doesn't spin like a rotary nor does it have the rotaries speed or power. The elliptical motion mimics hand movements, only much, much faster.

The random orbital buffer gets its name from the action of the buffer (or polishing head) This operates by the shaft rotating and spinning the back plate on an orbit radius or an eccentric offset (or throw) of 5/32-inch as opposed to a revolution on a direct-drive system, and within this eccentric orbit it also rotates in very small circles After using a high-speed rotary polisher use a random orbital buffer at speed #3 and Zaino Z-AIO, which will provide an extra depth and added gloss

Pros- the random orbital buffer is manufactured as a sanding machine, but can be adapted as a very safe polishing machine, as it lacks the power to burn paint. It is very easy to use and is ideal for very minor paint correction and the application of car care products

Cons- it lacks the power to produce the kinetic (or dynamic) friction required to breakdown the diminishing abrasives in polishes designed for hard clear coats and / or paint correction / renovation, although it could be used for this purpose utilizing 4-inch foam pads to increase surface friction / heat it is very time consuming

Alternative random orbital buffersGroit’s 6-inch Orbital Polisher, VRG, Bosch Gex -150 Turbo, Festool Rotex - RO125, Makita BO6040 Polisher (alternate between circular or dual-action modes)

I use both machines plus an orbital, they all have pros and cons to them, but if I could only have one then it would be the Flex

9. dpopkin

dpopkin Virgin Detailer

thanks for all the tips, i use menzerna products and i do notice that the PC does take awhile to break them down.