Headlight restoration 96 Cobra

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Drsuce, May 26, 2010.

1. Drsuce

Drsuce Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Its my first real write-up so be kind :)

Here's the drivers side OEM headlight from 1996. The UV coating is peeling off and making a mess, the lenses are milky white and it looks like it needs replacing... right? :sad5:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another thing with SN95 headlights is they have those stupid little tits on them! You know, the ones that you always crush a finger on when your washing your car? I will be removing them aswell, heres a pic of what i mean
    [​IMG]

I used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to remove the tits. Heres the first pic of the tits shaved off. WARNING: Be very carefull when your using a dremel tool, use eye protection and DO NOT remove too much of the tit. If you go too deep you will NOT be able to sand it out.
    [​IMG]

and to the side
    [​IMG]
    One more for good measure
    [​IMG]

The Lenses were then block sanded with 800 grit. Focus on removing the remainder of the tits before you work on the lens. Remove all the factory UV coating and any defects you want gone. Here are some pics having everything completly sanded down with 800 grit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tits gone!!!
    [​IMG]

Repeat the process with 1000 grit and 1500 grit if you see fit. I left it at 1000 grit as i am able to fully remove 1000 grit marks easily!

Lets polish the lens clear again!
    I used my Flex 3401VRG using orange and white pads with 3 diffrent polishes.
    I started off with an orange pads with menzerna powergloss.Defects were still vizible so i moved on to a gentler menzerna super intensive polish using a fresh orange pad. The defects are now 100% gone, now all i needed to do was add clerity and some pop. i used my white pad with menzerna P085RD. The results speak for themself. The lens is now clearer than factory, titsless and lookin awesome!

Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those dots are just dust!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Drsuce

FYI, those dots in the last few pics are just dust. After polishing these lenses had mad static charge!

3. ///M LifeStyle

///M LifeStyle Birth of a Detailer

great work!!

4. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

Nice work!!

Saw this over on SN95Forums lol.

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Bitchen job dude! I bet your headlights are almost twice as bright at night.

6. Wow, thats an awesome job you have accomplished :applause:

7. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Looks better than new. You know the "tits" serve a purpose, right?

8. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

and what purpose is that?

Great job on the headlights. Look FANTASTIC!

9. Mindflux

headlight alignment. the dealers hook something to the face of the housing that uses those 'tits' to help align the headlight properly.

10. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Great Job!! :mounty:

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

great headlight restoration!

12. Tire Shredder

Tire Shredder Jedi Nuba

nice! I also think you should put a coat of wax on that quad-cam beauty and make us a nice picture thread!

13. richy

richy Guest

OK..I know I am a pig, but when you referred to them as tits and then posted this pic, I thought....hmm..it must be cold in his shop!!!

[​IMG]

14. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I think that some states actually check the alignment of headlight aim as well for registration/inspection at which point you will be out of luck titless.

That said, great job on that lenses! To say you improved the clarity is an understatement.

15. Mindflux

Not sure about that part. Most if not all new vehicles are titless now. (re: headlights)

16. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Damn son, that is impressive!

17. Drsuce

I have been told that those tits are for headlight alignment, i have also been working @ dealerships for nearly 10 years and have never seen such a tool used to aim headlights... maybe some kind of special tool from the 80's and 90's?

heres a pic of the car
    [​IMG]

18. SHhhhh

SHhhhh Two Bucket System Washer

Very cool. Headlight mod FTW

19. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

Congrats. Very good job! How long taken this restoration?

20. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

mmm mystic cobra FTW....i used to be on the sn95 forums, my answer to the foggy headlights was this:

[​IMG]

BOI smoked headlights