Meguiars Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by midlife chrysler, May 12, 2010.

1. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

If I remember his welcome thread, it was an 05 crossfire.

2. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

I remember Scott on autopia used to use this product. Basically many OTC products(at least Meguiars I would imagine) are hydrators(for the most part are water carriers) so I would think judyb would sorta be "OK" with them.

3. midlife chrysler

midlife chrysler Virgin Detailer

Well, certainly a lot of conflicting reports!
    I will check on the action of water droplets on my leather . (Since it's been raining here for the last 10 days I have seen the occasional drop on my seats, and it seems to me it beads up at first, leaves a dark spot, and then dries out).
    This weekend's supposed to be nice so I'll try an out-of-the-way spot and see how it performs.
    I'll also try to get a pic of my modest products collection for that section of the forum!

4. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Judy's argument could be applied to paint protection products. I mean you could spend $100 on a wax...it just sits on the surface. It does not nourish the paint. It may in fact attract dust. Some may argue waxing hurts the paint since you are touching it so much (application, removal, etc).

There is still a lot of FUD.

5. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Not really, I mean, how many of you are sitting on your cars? I know we did back when cars weren't beer cans with motors, I use to use the hood of my old Monte Carlo as a quickie motel 6, but these days the paint doesn't get the butts rubbing them.

6. judyb

judyb Any Rag Vehicle Washer

There are many products on the market that are simply'feel good' factors for leather. They will add a nice 'hand' to the leather when you have finished cleaning for a while. However, as they sit on the surface they do nothing for the leather itself. If they contain waxes and/or oils they are liable to attract more dirt to the surface which is what we are trying to avoid as it is dirt that will eventually do damage, first to the finish and then the pigment and eventually the leather. The key is to keep the leather clean and the easiest way to do this is to avoid oils, waxes, etc. as these will only add to the problem and use a protector which helps dirt sit on the surface and not become ground into the finish/pigment on the leather.
    Products may appear to work but are simply a surface treatment which in the long run is pointless and unecessary.

Hope this helps

7. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Why do you mention 1z? It has natural waxes.