2010 Shelby Cobra Mustang

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by richy, May 9, 2010.

1. richy

richy Guest

This customer is a referral from the 5 series I just did. He has 5 cars he wants me to do for him and this was the 1st. Brand new Mustang and he instructed the dealer to leave all the plastic on and he wanted me to polish and seal it.

THE PROCESS:

WHEELS/WELLS/BARRELS/TIRES:

Since it was brand new, the wheels and barrels just got cleaned with Zep Citrus. The wells got the same treatment. The tires were cleaned with Zep purple.

WASH/WAX REMOVAL:

The way it was beading water it appeared to have been waxed. After rinsing off, I sprayed Zep Citrus and let it dwell for about 3 minutes. Following that was the foam cannon which was also allowed to dwell for a few minutes. Finally it was washed with 2 bm to no beading.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WHEEL/TIRE TREATMENT:

The wheels were hand polished with DG 501. They were then sealed with DG 105. A coat of Colli 845 was applied the following day. The tires were dressed with DP gloss gel and the wells were dressed with Adams Undercarriage spray.

PAINT/DEFECT REMOVAL:

The paint was in darn nice condition really. There was a small sratch at the back and one on the hood. Both easily came out with my 3" wool pad and UCCL. There was a chip in the hood unfortunately that needed touch up. I'll fix that one next time when he has paint for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The goal for this car was to make the flake pop and to give it as much protection as possible. I started with UCCL and a white pad followed up with a black LCC pad and Menz Micro. That was then followed with DG 501. I tried CG WMF instead but could find no difference whatsoever in the appearance so I stuck with the 501. It was followed up with DG 601/105 both applied and removed by hand. The final coat was Colli 845. Can you say slick? Wow!!

TAIL/HEADLIGHTS:

The headlights were in good shape and got DG 501 followed by 105 and Colli 845. The one tail light had a scratch in it that I wet sanded out and then used a 3" wool pad with UCCL and a small black pad with DG plastic polish. They were sealed with 105 and Colli too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wet Sanding in one spot:

[​IMG]

EXHAUST TIPS:

The exhaust tips were cleaned with Autosol and a mf. They were then sealed with Collinite Metal wax.

EXTERIOR TRIM:

This was treated with DG flat black trim dressing.

INTERIOR:

I removed all the plastic and vacuumed the carpets. The leather seats were treated with 303 Aerospace. The roof was vacuumed as well using a mohair brush. The glass was cleaned with Zep pro glass and the sticker on the glass was removed using a straight razor blade and Zep.

BEFORES:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was sprinkling rain so some shots are inside and some outside as it stopped raining for me.

AFTERS:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MY FAVOURITE SHOT OF ALL!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bye Bye Scratch!
    [​IMG]

Bummer I had no touch up!
    [​IMG]

Other scratch gone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

great job! that color in person is soo sexy

3. Starcar

Starcar Birth of a Detailer

Beautiful car. Beautiful work Richy, Thanks for posting

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great job Richy, I have done a bunch of these, a real fun car to detail.

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

looks good rich! thanks for sharing.

6. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Great job Richy. Love that color.

7. RustyBumper

RustyBumper Jedi Nuba

Nice work, Richy! Question. What is UCCL?

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

What a beauty!!!

The colinite metal wax has me intrigued...

9. richy

richy Guest

Thanks. I too love the colour. It's like an iridescent with the purple-blue colour depending on how the light hits it.

Thank you very much.

Thanks Dana. You've probably worked on darned-near everything!

Thanks Billy.

Thanks Luis.

UCCL is Presta Ultra Cutting Creme Light. Got it on closeout from Pakshack. It's very similar to M205 I believe although I've never used the 205 yet. It's quite pad dependent and can do a lot and finishes very nicely. And thanks too :)

You will love it if you try it. Very underrated for looks. Everyone knows its durability but I like it for looks too.

10. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

looks great man but the convertible top just kills it.

Excellent work. I did one like that but it was black. Nice blue!

11. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Looks like you are back in the swing of things!

12. richy

richy Guest

Well the coupe may look better but it's gotta be very, very nice to have that top down on a gorgeous day. Did your black one have the stripes too? Love those!

Indeed I am...you'll be seeing a lot from me in the next few months.

13. webnola

webnola Virgin Detailer

What kind of wax did you say you used? I had similar results with touchup paint and wax from this site

14. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

Yeah the hard top i did had the stripes and i tell you those things are horrible LoL. Being out here in hawaii the stripes take a beating from the sun especially because it's just like one huge sticker and not painted on the vehicle.

Staying busy with detail work?

15. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

great job richy i love ucc and uccl for starting

16. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Great work, Richy! Love that colour! Mustang finally has HID xenon lights, ordinary halogens are candle lights, you can't see an effing thing with them...I've been driving cars with HID xenon for the last 7 years and am not going back to halogen...

17. richy

richy Guest

I used Duragloss 111 topped with Collinite 845IW.

I'm just getting back into it now..got a backlog of cars to do.

Thanks Bryan. It's a good, versatile compound that's reasonably priced. Ranney had it on closeout a few weeks ago..not sure if he still has it or not.

Thanks Sergei. No kidding about the lights! Soon we'll be driving with LED headlights...even better than the HID'S.

18. Winny

Winny Virgin Detailer

Looks great. Howd the paint look when the sun hit it? That colour looks like it would pop when the sun hit it. Its too bad the SVT team couldnt get a metal folding roof for the Shelby.....just to really separate it from the rest.

19. richy

richy Guest

Unfortunately the sun was only out a tiny bit. It was sunny when I parked it and 15 minutes later it was raining again! I did not get to see it in a nice bright sun. :( The metal roof is a good idea.

20. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

That is some choice work Rich, that blue came out beautiful.