wheel cleaner, need help choosing

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Misha, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

well i need cost effective wheel cleaner. once used before is p21s wheel cleaner. its little pricy so need cheaper alternative
    also has to be acid free, to be safe on most wheels. i do have diablo for special wheels

did searchign around and found following products

zep purple degreaser (deluted for proper use, what delution ratio?)
    AG acid free wheel cleaner (CWC?) in 5L size
    Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner (recomendation of TOWGT) probably can get localy from sherwin williams stores. have to check

what about this
    Simple Green Pro HD Professional Grade Heavy Duty Cleaner, 128 Oz. - 13421 at The Home Depot
    or
    Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, 128 Oz. - 80007 at The Home Depot

ZEP Industrial Purple Cleaner, 5 Gal. - ZU08565G at The Home Depot

would be nice to have it localy couse shipping on big containers is expencive

2. richy

richy Guest

Misha, if the wheels are not bad, I use either Zep Citrus or Zep purple (both at 4:1). If they are bad, I use either Megs WB or Carbrite acid. Nothing has failed those options.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

Sidebar, Didn't I hear Simple Green isn't the greatest things for some wheels?
    I think it fogs aluminum? anyone know? Bob

4. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

yeah i use megs WB on eniken wheels yesterday after claying them, spend an hour on all 4 wheels. they were bad, they are on sti and those brakes are pretty bad on wheels. WB deff helped, p21s didnt work, had to clay after p21s

5. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/washing-claying-engine-wheels-tires/1201-wheel-cleaners.htm

6. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

my vote goes to AG custom wheel cleaner, get it from ken

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I have and really like AG CWC...

I use it on tires/rims and it works great...

I save my P21s for carbon ceramic brakes

8. Chineseguy

Chineseguy Birth of a Detailer

Unlike some wheel cleaners that just clean the wheels, with AG CWC, it leaves a shine afterwards. It's also cheap and you can dillute it if the wheels aren't too bad

Ken sells the 5L for a very reasonable price

9. Twisted007

Twisted007 Banned

10. roastpuff

roastpuff Virgin Detailer

This would be my recommendation. CWC has been absolutely wonderful, and I usually have it diluted 2:1 and it still works great!

Ken has it for a very reasonable price, 5L will last you a LONG time and it's much cheaper than P21S.

11. BrendanS

BrendanS Welcome to Detailing

don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but is CWC safe for all wheels/brakes?

12. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

13. calypso

calypso Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I dunno what its like on your side, but here in SA Sonax wheel cleaners is a fraction of the price of P21S, I did a write up about the 2 of them ages ago, if i can find it ill post it, but its came down to the Sonax being marginally better then the P21S.

Just dont know if the Sonax is safe on carbon brakes.

14. calypso

calypso Any Rag Vehicle Washer

15. Audi2.7t

Audi2.7t Two Bucket System Washer

Meg's Wheel Brightener for me. Just gotta be careful with it on some wheels, but it cleans like hell!

16. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I would go for safe acid cleaner as opposed to WB

SONAX Xtreme Rim Cleaner full effect - the best of both worlds; the cleaning power of an acid wheel cleaner with a (safe) pH of 7.0 by using a neutralised acid salt; neutralization is the reaction between an acid and a base (alkaline) producing a salt and neutralized base; common examples include acetic acid and sulphuric acid (hence the red colour, which is a chemical reaction with the metal particles) and the smell (sulphur) This product safely encapsulates the iron oxide (brake / rail dust particulates) to enable it to be rinsed away

17. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

For a good wheel cleaner that won't kill your wallet I'd recommend custom wheel cleaner as well. Its great stuff.

18. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Richy, what's Carbrite Acid and where can I get some?

Is there any specific handling and use instructions or is this safe on all materials?

19. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

well wheel brightner failed me today, we got STI and owner took wheels last season and didnt wash brake dust before storing then and i had to scrub them good to get it off and not all came off. so next time we have car for longer then an hour we would have to take wheels off to clean them and seal them. but WB was only 4:1

20. poonamt93

poonamt93 Virgin Detailer

I don't use any product on my wheels. I just brush them, and I use the car shampoo. Work well for me. I tried to use something on my wheels, but then it left something on the wheels (I had the 16" wheels on the 325i). So I decided never to put any product on my wheels again. I heard that Wheel Wax is good, though...