Armor All Wheel Protectant Test- Video

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by scott14, Mar 16, 2010.

1. G8GXP

G8GXP Any Rag Vehicle Washer

My local Walmart didn't have any, so I picked one up at Autozone.

2. RNickolas

RNickolas Obsessive Detailer

I know its not brake dust but here are my results of armorall wheel protectant after a few days (damn colorado weather)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as you can see the running boards of the truck are dirty from driving through snow/salt puddles while the rims are still clean

so far so good, I applied them to my wife's DD so next time i wash it im going to check out the brake dust accumulation

3. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

cool. thanks for posting the pics.

4. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Sweet results. I'm coming to you on Sunday...well, to Vail but still.

5. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

bought some at auto zone today. amor all has a promotion going buy any 3.99 amor all product and a can of wheel protectant and they will pay you on a rebate for the wheel protectant. i just put in on the wheels today. needed to wipe later with clear water but protection looks good.

6. JonM

JonM Guest

used it last night. First applied DP wheel glaze and allowed that to set for about 9 hours before applying the armor all. Just tried to do the honey test and completely didn't work...at all. Just applied a more generous coating to see if it'll work better. My guess is I didn't apply enough the first time or the wheel glaze is interfering. I'll let you guys now the outcome a few hours from now.

7. hopeforcash

hopeforcash Virgin Detailer

I picked up a bottle as well. Just cleaned the rims and treated the tires. Ran out of time to try. Should it be applied in warm weather? Been getting chilly weather lately and the rims took awhile to dry. Needed to assist with a hairdryer which kept me warmer too!

8. slanguage

Any updates on this?

9. scott14

scott14 Birth of a Detailer

my experience it lasted two weeks..tops. The stuff is good, but a little pricey. And this was on my car that is garage kept and well taken care of. So i prob wont buy anymore.

10. slanguage

thanks for the update.

11. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

just subscribing.....not entirely convinced yet :) will wait on some other results before buying my own.

12. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

I just found out about this stuff. Looks very promising, even if it only lasts 2-3 weeks. I drive out of my garage after a wash and there's a nice uniform coating of brake dust on my wheels:(

Black painted lips + brake dust = always dirty looking wheels. Anyone know if this stuff is safe for painted wheels?

13. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

wouldn't see why it wouldn't be. Are they painted and clear coated?

i've used this stuff with great success. Totally forgot to test the durability. I know i got a few weeks out of it for sure but in the end it all will depend on your climate condition. It will at least help prevent break dust from baking on to the rim.

I would like to test it on some chrome rims . . . . . or rims that come on ford rangers i believe they are chrome. Can't be polished aluminum since Wheel Brightener doesn't make them cloudy.

14. Emile

I washed my dad's car last Sunday and finally decided to apply Armor All Wheel Protectant to his rims because if I let his car go after just two weeks, the rims are completely grey/black with brake dust. It has only been a few days, but so far there is little to no brake dust sitting on the rims, which so far is much better than before. I'd like to see how they look after two weeks and will update the thread accordingly.

15. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Painted and clearcoated from the HRE. I'll have to swing by Wally World today and check it out. Can anyone read the bottle and see if there are any cautions on using it on painted surfaces? Since overspray onto the paintwork of the car itself is probably inevitable, I would imagine there shouldn't be an issue either.

16. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

I am personally more worried about overspray getting onto the brake discs and having a detrimental effect on the brakes. It is 100% safe for all painted surfaces and should wipe off any of the car paint it might get on with some QD before it dries completely.

17. bonehead

bonehead Jedi Nuba

Very valid concern. Although if you can just easily wipe it off just by touching the surface, I would imagine a few pumps of the brakes will quickly remove any overspray on the pads or rotors.

18. Emile

Got a nice update for you guys.

I had washed dad's car on Sunday as I posted above, and then washed my mom's car last Wednesday. They both drive the same exact model of car. Did the Armor All Wheel Protectant on Dad's rims and did Optimum Car Wax on Mom's rims.

Just checked both cars...dad's rims are still clean....looks like little to no brake dust accumulation, while Mom's rims have the regular coating of brake dust. They both drive a similar amount each day and I had washed my mom's car several days after my father's car and my father's wheels are still looking way better.

Obviously I can't control their driving conditions and driving style (if one is harder on the brakes than the other), but this is quite a nice little test.

I will take and post pictures up tomorrow with more information. I think you guys will really like the results.

19. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

Ive been using it on my wheels for about 2 weeks now, they still look pretty good!
    Im totally sold on this product for sure.

20. MINIz guy

MINIz guy Two Bucket System Washer

I've been testing on our cars too. My mom's X6 which gets very little mileage in 2 weeks, ~100 miles a week, has very little accumulation. The rain today has probably washed any accumulation off. My dad's 3 series which sees ~35 miles a day has a very light coating of brake dust. I will see how the rain cleaned his wheels after he comes back from work.