What subject would you like to see covered...

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by togwt, Mar 22, 2010.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

...in the next Detailing Technical Article Series? Or a New Neophyte Series perhaps?

I’d like the input of forward thinking forum members to have some input into detailing subjects they would like to learn more about. Any detailing related subject-Rotary, Random Orbital, Microfibre towels, Polishes, Sealants, wax, etc,

My vision is to write articles in a democratic style. Allowing forum contributors to have their voices heard as to what they to learn about, it keeps Detailing School fresh and most importantly; relevant.

2. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I'm always looking for tips on improving my detailing with a PC iim still to weary about a rotary. Also like learning more about microfiber towels, which towels for removin polish, wax, sealant....
    Thank you for all your great info and writew ups

3. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

i wouldnt mind seeing some info on how to polish metal parts, what pads to use etc

im always keeping an eye out for metal polish product tests, but no one seems to compare products like the optimum metal polish, p21s all finish restore vs the polishin soap, etc

exhaust tips are easy, you can get a great finish with autosol given their mostly hidden, but i had some exposed metal parts in the engine bay of my last car, and no matter how i tried to finish down, and what products i used, i could never get a 100% scratch free finish

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/350Z/131_3182_s.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/scascone/350Z/131_3181_s.jpg

4. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Hi Togwt,

Your articles are always great :)

Note: You might have already covered these so my apologies ahead of time if I missed the content.

Recently, been confused a bit with all the dressings and protectant.

How to tell what is vinyl or not. How to identify the material and determine what to use on it.
    What to use where and what products.

What to use on clear plastic.

I believe I'm doing it right but your articles always seem to give me something new or dispels some myths.

Another recent item is how to protect the car underbody. Was researching into the rubberized coatings, CG bare bones and etc.

Rust-proofing, the myths about it and what's effective or if its needed at all.

Hope those make sense.

Thanks again for sharing.

5. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

I'd agree with any of the above suggestions. I have yet to read one of the authors articles and not be absolutely amazed at the detail and what I learn!

6. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

I would like to see more info about wet sanding and polishing. Anyway, all your articles are great Jon.

7. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

+1, more info on wet sanding pls ... what must I need ? paper sanding grit? block etc ...

Always love your write up ...

thanks

8. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Hey Jon,

Once again thanks for all the informative articles you've already made available :thumb:

The 2 things I would like some input on are wet sanding, as well as correcting glass and some of the newer toughened plastics and plexiglass type screens.

I recently did some work on a car with a toughened plexiglass rear window and no matter what I tried, even the finest of defects were impossible to remove!

Cheers

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Leather Restoration...

10. smokin

smokin Any Rag Vehicle Washer

What ever you decide to write about. Your write-ups are very detail oriented thanks.

11. GDAL

GDAL Guest

proper way to wetsand a scratch and it would be great if you could include pictures ... I'm somewhat of a visual learner.

12. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Good choice. And dying.

13. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

wetsanding. I have never wetsanded before :shrug:

14. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I would like to see some leather repairing and glass correction..

15. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I should have a revised "Wet-Sanding" article available in a few days.

Try these products for polishing plastics (Plexiglass, Lexan, etc)

16. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Look forward to the updated wet sanding article, thank you!

I think you missed the end of your post Jon or am I interpreting it wrong?

17. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Micro-Mesh™ is what they call a non-abrasive abrasive; it is considered a cushioned abrasive in fact.

Conventional sandpaper is designed to be aggressive so that it will dig deeply. In its manufacture the crystals are electrically charged so that they will stand up. They are locked into a hard resin and when you apply the paper to a surface it will literally tear in and remove the substrate of the material you are sanding. The crystals cut in a negative raking motion, leaving inconsistent scratch patterns.

Micro-Mesh™ does the opposite. The backing is long lasting cloth to which an ultra-flexible cushioning layer is applied. This cushioning layer will determine how far forward you can push crystals before they will penetrate the cushioning layer. On top of this layer, we have very resilient glue, not a hard resin, but completely flexible glue that will hold the crystals while allowing it to move and rotate. The crystals can turn in any direction without coming loose. When you start to apply pressure to sand with Micro-Mesh™, the crystals will go into the cushioning layer while beginning to cut a bit. If you push harder, they will go further into the cushioning layer, which serves as a safety valve. It determines how much pressure you can exert in a down ward direction. Instead of a deep scratch that sandpaper makes, Micro-Mesh™ produce a refined scratch that is close to a RMS of 1.0. The cushioning layer also allows the crystals to cut with a planeing motion that leaves an extremely consistent scratch pattern and allows you to achieve extraordinary levels of gloss.

Where conventional abrasives will take surfaces down 2 or 3 thousandths (.002 or .003), Micro-Mesh™ will take it down one ten thousandth (.0001) or less

Micro- Surface Finishing Products – Micromesh® MICRO-SURFACE FINISHING PRODUCTS, INC

18. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru