Hard Water deposits!!!

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by MJCarnegie, Mar 19, 2010.

1. MJCarnegie

MJCarnegie Virgin Detailer

Hey Guys, I have a new Platinum Graphite 09' Infiniti G37S Coupe with water deposits cascading down the vertical portion of the trunk and bumper. It appears as as though it has etched its way into the clearcoat. After a complete wash with DAWN plus an IPA wipe down I tried sponging white vinegar over the area to see if it would help. No luck there, so I broke out the PC 7424 an orange LC pad and some P21S Paintwork cleanser. That did nothing either. Next I tried a white LC pad and Menzerna PO85RD. There was a slight improvement this time. Next was Menzerna PO91E with a white pad and finally with a yellow pad. So far it still hasn't removed the water marks. It looks better than when I started, but far from perfect. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mike

P.S. I thought about about taking a few pics, but because of the color of the car I think it will be almost impossible to see.

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

So it sounds like you got the mineral deposits out but now are left with just the etching right?

1st, what size pads are you using?

You need to get something more agressive like M150 and a cutting pad no bigger than 5.5" with the PC and take your time....

3. MJCarnegie

Thanks for the quick response. I'm using 4 inch pads for this job due to the tight spots on the trunk lid. I took my time and really worked the polish well. I really felt like the PO85RD would do the trick. Never thought I'd have to resort to PO91E and a yellow pad. How much more aggressive is the Megs?

Mike

4. detailjohn

detailjohn Detailers Advertising Scheme

I would probably recommend to wetsand the areas. Sometimes polishing will only dull or round the etching of the waterspot, while sanding will completely eliminate it. Best of luck.

John

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Use your 4" pads with something like Megs 105 or Menz Powergloss. Keep the speed at 4-5 and keep checking. Follow up with your 91E.

6. MJCarnegie

Thanks guys! Spent an hour calling around San Diego county trying to locate some 105, but no luck. Looks like I'll have to order it. I've never used 105 or Power Gloss. Is one more suited to a PC than the other? I've got plenty of different pads to experiment with to dial in the right level of cut.

Thanks again,
    Mike

7. MJCarnegie

While rummaging around my garage this morning I found some LC Purple foamed wool pads I picked up last year and forgot I had. I've never used wool pads before. How well would these work on a PC? I'm wondering if I should try these out with some PO91E and see if it would solve my problems. Has anyone else had any experience with this combo?

Mike

8. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

It depends on how much clearcoat you are willing to sacrifice to completely remove the etching I think, can you still see it?

I think that 105 sounds more suited to the PC because I never got great results with PG and my PC but once I started using PG with my rotary it produced much better results. However, I would personally just use multiple passes with what you have already rather than buying a more aggressive compound/polish.

9. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

I would agree depending on how deep (or hopefully shallow) the etching is.. But if some M105 can knock it out you may as well

105 is more geared towards PC and will create less left over marring for you to clean up...

10. detailjohn

detailjohn Detailers Advertising Scheme

11. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

12. D By Dustin

D By Dustin Virgin Detailer

I would agree with John if 105 can get it try wetsanding. Remember to allow your sandpaper to soak overnight or for at least an hour before attacking the water spot also tape up the surrounding area that way you can sand just that spot, start with 3000 or 2000 grit first and work in one way. Remember to spray water on the area while sanding.

Then polish back out sorry to hear about the water spotting.

Ive got acid rain spots all over my corvette it needs to be entirely wetsanded to remove that crap.