I need some Undercoating... Which One To Buy?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Handz, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I am going to re-do the undercoating on the rear inner fenders on my mustang. I am looking for that plain black OEM look. I went to a few shops and they have Rustoleum, Duplicolor, and Permatex undercoating.....

Can anyone recommend me a black, OEM undercoating?

:meditation:

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

3m rubberized undercoating is pretty good stuff.

3. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

I am gonna have to test the 3M before i used it.

I went to Pep-Boys and tried some Duplicolor undercoating and it looking like BS when i sprayed it.

I also tried the Duplicolor "Professional Undercoating with Sound Insolation" and that looked pretty good.

I know they all look a little different.

4. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

3m stuff IMO is pretty close to OE, got to remember OE is done through spray gun so you will have different pattern but 3m stuff is pretty good. SEM has a undercoating, my dad is the head Chem E in the lab, so I can ask him about it. Last I remember it may be a bit harder to find as they only sell to body shops and will have to source it from body shop or online.

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

All Junk IMO...

The real winner is truck bed liner... go get some of the roll on truck bed liner, looks great in the wheel wells, cleans easily, and can be dressed.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

How did I forget that, haha...have seen many trunks use it instead of undercoating.

7. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer

bud doesnt truck bed liner weight alot?

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Weights more than trad. undercoating but by for spraying the fenders it will/should be a negligible difference almost. Just keep it thin.

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Lol really??

You think that just the fender wells is going to add weight to your car... if you are that concerned skip breakfast lol...

10. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

bwahaha... that's funny right there! :lol:

11. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Wurth and 3M is what most body shops use and will be your best option for returning it to OEM spec.

12. Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've used the 3M on a 2003 and a 1999 Mustang before. The color and sheen were a perfect match on both cars. I would make sure the area to be sprayed is cleaned very well so the undercoating will bond correctly. After it dries completely you should have no problem using any dressing you choose. Oh one more thing I picked mine up from a painters supply store, I don't know if the stuff they have at an auto parts store would be the same. Good luck.

13. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

We use 3M at my shop mostly. Sometimes when we have a big job ill just buy the cheap stuff (forgot the name), but the 3M is really nice.

14. Simz

Simz Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Line-x!!