Detail 2008 Z06

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by GBS, Jan 12, 2010.

1. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

I first polished this car when it was new to remove all of the swirls caused by the dealers poor washing techniques. After 2 years it was starting to get a lot of little scratches but it was still not as bad as when it was new.

Before Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paint Correction:

Polish: Menzerna PO85RD
    Polisher: Metabo Rotary Polisher
    Backing Plate: 3M Perfect-it backing Plate
    Pads: Lake County Kompressor Lite Cutting & Jewling Pads

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exterior LSP:

Paint: Wolfgang Fuzion
    Glass & Headlights: Klasse All-In-One
    Plastic: 303 Aerospace Protectant
    Wheels: Duragloss 501
    Tires: Wolfgang Vinyl & Rubber Sealant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. richy

richy Guest

Gary..great job on the 'vette! You got it looking flawless...and your taping job...how long did that take? I love the wheels BTW, always a big fan of chrome wheels on a black car and boy does it ever work on yours. Thanks for posting! :applause:

3. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

gota love a flawless detail on black...

4. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

It looked perfect to me before Gary, but the afters are flawless!

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great job, didn't think 85rd could do any amount of correction but I guess I was wrong. Nice looking Vett!

6. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

always enjoy flawless black car ... well done

7. cnut

cnut Guest

:applause:Great work The paint looked flawless. I agree with Richy, those chrome wheels really compliment the vette.

8. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

gotta love black!!! Stunning work, Gary!

9. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

85RD has no correcting ability but Gary's choice of pads did. Thats how he was able to remove the minor damage. Great job Gary! Now that is black. The Wolfgang looks incredible on that car.

10. kei169

kei169 Wax on..Wax off

Nice looking z06!

11. Follmer

Follmer Birth of a Detailer

hey gary awesome work! Could you describe your use of your rotary and your steps. my grandpa has a vette just like this but not a zo6. He has some minor flaws that need correction this spring and i would be honored to have your results! Thanks

12. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

The Z looks fantastic! Great job!

Like Richy, I tool like that tape-job :thumb:

13. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

I didn't really time how long it took me to tape it up. I might have mess around with it for a couple of hours in the garage the night before I started polishing it.

The paint was in good shape but it had a lot of scratches I would classify as random scratches and not swirl marks. I think some of them might be caused from my car cover. Under the right lighting conditions they were starting to bug me.

All done using Menzerna PO85RD at 1500 rpms (speed setting 3 on a Metabo).
    PO85RD doesn’t have much of a cut but it does have a little. As far as Menzerna polishes go it is their least aggressive polish and has a cut of 1 on a scale of 1 to 5. Combine it with a light cutting pad and it will remove very light scratches. I love the way it jewels the paint.

1 slow pass using a 6” LC Kompressor light cutting pad. After 1 pass of an area I went over every inch of the area with my Infratech CM5300. At that point there were usually just a few random scratches left in an area (Again the paint was not in bad shape to begin with. It really didn’t have any swirl marks just some light random scratches that were starting to bug me in certain lighting). There were a couple of areas where I did do a 2nd pass before focusing on specific scratches. Once I get it down to just a few scratches in an area I use small pieces of tape to give me a reference point on the specific scratches. At that point I could barely see any scratches that were left and really had to look hard to see them. From there 1 or 2 passes on the area of the specific scratch took take care of it. After a complete area looks good I do an IPA wipe down and go over it again with the light just to make sure before moving on.

After completing the car with the 6” Kompressor light cutting pad I switched to a 6” Kompressor Jewelling pad and did 1 slow pass on the whole car with no pressure applied on the polisher.

14. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Very nice work!

15. shiny

shiny Jedi Nuba

Nice work!

16. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Beautiful work Gary...

17. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Looks really nice Gary.

18. Nica

Nica Banned

Vehicle looks great Gary :thumb:

By the way love F1 posters in the garage, I was never a fan of F1 but I got hooked on it in the Barcelona race in 2009 and how that Schumacher's back boy it's going to be a great season for F1 this year :cheerl:

19. GBS

GBS Wax on..Wax off

Thanks guys for the additional nice comments!

Carlos, The first time I ever saw F1 cars run was many years ago when they first had the Grand Prix in downtown Detroit. Now I go to the 12 hours of Sebring race every year. I love seeing the F1 cars run along with the GT class cars. The F1 cars pass the GT cars in the turns like the GT cars are barely moving. It's very impressive to see.

20. mutmanns

mutmanns DB Forum Supporter

excellent job!
    looks very very clean and classy