Power Washer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by noswirls, Nov 13, 2009.

1. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

Based on feedback from this forum, I am considering puchasing a power washer.

Can folks make specific recommendations for detailing? A specific model perhaps? I understand that Karcher is a popular company.

Do power washers do a significantly better job than just a plain old hose? Does car cleaning really need a power washer? Most detailers who are anal/crazy use them?

Thanks.

-- no swirls

2. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

3. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

Thanks very much for the reply. I did see this pressurewasher.

When I went to the Karcher website, I found that they sell a wide range of products at a bunch of stores including Target, Walmart, Sears...ect. Many of their power washers are considerably less expensive that the one you linked to.

-- noswirls

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Right, they are less expensive. to begin with. I would love to get the cam spray, but unfortunately can't drop that kind of coin on a PW right now.

I have a Powerwasher brand that I got at the local fleet store for 89 bucks. It works much better than the regular garden hose, but does still leave quite a bit to be desired.

The other nice thing about the cam spray is you get a nice hose/handle right away, where you can easily drop 150 on aftermarket ones after purchasing a cheaper PW unit.

The cam spray is supposedly very quiet as well, and is more solidly built.

5. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

6. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

i have a gas powered PW with a foam cannon and I love it. I dont use it on every detail, but man is it fun if nothing else.

7. rwisejr

Love my foan cannons. But I'm upa t 6-7 am on weekends detailing mine or others cars so a gas unit was out of the questions. My neighbors would shoot me.

8. bwanderson79

bwanderson79 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I purchased an electric Karcher 1750 psi at Sam's Club for $149.99. For an additional $24.99 I got an extended warranty that extends coverage to a total of four years, which you will need because in my previous experience, the pump will most likely fail before that time is up, especially if you are using it frequently for details. I also have a foam cannon I purchased from PW Mall online for half the price of Autogeek, and it works great. All in all, a great deal.

9. tors

tors Any Rag Vehicle Washer

+2 on the CamSpray 1500A from DD. I've had mine for about 6 months now and it's one of the best purchases I've made. It's relatively quiet compared to a gas PW, and the pressure is quite strong as well. It's built like a tank and can withstand a ton of punishment.

10. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Karcher K3.67M is what I have, purchased it from Amazon. I dig it a lot.

It's far from a necessity. For cleaning any part of the vehicle, nothing is better than the appropriate cleaner and wash media (brush, sponge, mitt, etc.). But what I like about the pressure washer is that it's better at rinsing wheel cleaners and other cleaners off after cleaning wheels and wheel arches.

I also love my foam cannon, it is way more fun than a foam gun. Finally, with a well-waxed vehicle I can easily just pressure-wash the bulk of the mud/dirt off of my vehicle. This is important for me since I work in construction and year-round my vehicle gets quite dirty after even just a week of driving. This is nice because it makes for more scratch-free washes.

11. noswirls

noswirls Virgin Detailer

Thanks very much to all who have replied. It's not clear to me that a pressure washer is an essential piece of detailing equipment for the weekend warrior. Perhaps I am mistaken? As I am building my detailing arsenal, I'm thinking it might make more sense to invest in a good orbital first.

Regards,

-- no swirls

12. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Definitely not necessary, but very very nice to have....

13. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

If you do not own a dual action polisher such as a Porter Cable, that is definitely the first thing to get. A garden hose wash followed by clay will always get a car 100% clean.

KustomizingKid summarized it the best; not necessary but nice to have.

14. willjco

willjco DB Forum Supporter

I was looking at the power washer on DD but it was way to much for me to drop. I went to lows and got the 2000psi task force power washer for $150 and got the extended warranty for $20. It has really helped to make my details more efficient. It also has an integrated soap injector so it gets rid of the need for a foam gun.

15. rwisejr

As far as the pressure washer if your doing just a few cars you will be ok .But if you are doing as a business it won't last . The cam spray also has the chemical injector but those in no way a comparison to a foam cannon.

16. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

My favorite part about the PW is how much junk it blasts off the lower panels before ever actually touching them...

17. trl2112

trl2112 Two Bucket System Washer

Does the CamSpray 1500A have a switch turning it on and off activated by the trigger like a Karcher? Or do you have to turn it off if you are not using it, to keep it from running?

18. rwisejr

If you are refering to a power switch .Yes it has one that is encased in water proof rubber .But it is contolled by the the trigger if i understand you correctly

19. trl2112

trl2112 Two Bucket System Washer

Correct I was curious if the unit turned on and off as you press and release the trigger.

Thanks

20. rwisejr

Trust me it is a serious unity .It is built like a tank