GTI v. Mazda3??

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Chas, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

So I plan on purchasing a car in either January or February, maybe March. I almost have enough saved up to put a pretty decent down payment on one and given the start of my new job tomorrow I hope that down payment will be even greater 3 months from now. I know I presented this awhile back but still want some input. I have decided between a Mazda3 and a GTI and I am at a stalemate. Which one do you guys think would be the smartest decision given that I want performance but still low cost over the long run and is economical. I feel like I can get a brand new Mazda3 in the winter for a good price given dealers will be trying to push 2009-2010 models off the lot and I can hopefully get a decent rate. But I also love the previous model as well and I totally wouldn't mind getting a used Mazda3 with low miles for a real decent price. GTI however I will probably have to get used considering my price point is around 20K-ish. All thoughts are welcome. Also looking at some Legacy GT's. Thanks in advance.

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Get a GTI, put on some BBS rimmage and you're driving a wicked MOTOR!

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I know I feel like that is the road I will probably go, I just hear that the MKV has a few issues that might cost a pretty penny. But then again given the proper maintenance and care hopefully issues such as those will not present themselves.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

If you want reliability go with a mazda 3 or the legacy gt

If you want to have a fun car ... get the GTI and save some money for the maintenance.

5. GDAL

GDAL Guest

there's a few people here with vw's (billyblooshoes has one). From what I have heard, they are a hit or miss when it comes to reliability.

I know for a fact early legacy gt's (05 and some 06) have turbo shaft play issues.

The only reliable vehicles I have ever owned were both hondas. I'm haven't had a german car and I would love to get one ... but I can't afford their maintenance.

6. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Yeah that's the thing I just don't know if it is worth the maintenance on German cars. The reliability of the Mazda3 is unbeatable as well as the Legacy GT. Was also possibly thinking of an Accord Coupe V6, but I like the idea of having a hatchback. Not only for detailing but for the outdoors activities I do. That and I like the look.

7. GDAL

GDAL Guest

What's your budget?

I was car shopping for the wifey a few months ago and we both feel in love with the mazda CX7. We didn't buy it because she needed a 3rd row seat.

I might get one when my Aurora takes a dump (any day now). You can do some mods (mazdaspeed 6 engine) and it looks pretty cool. It drives awesome!! you can get a grand touring (xenons, bose stereo, the works, etc.) for 20k.

8. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

My budget is 20K, and for that I can get a Mazda3 with around 10-20K miles on it which is literally just breaking the car in, and would leave some room with the warranty still available. I will be putting about 5K down maybe even 6.

9. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

GTI all the way! The MK6 are coming out so dealers will want to get rid of the MK5s that are on that log and I love mine, have had no issues with them at all. I really do like the new MK6 and if you can get it I would deff go with that one. The GTIs 09+ have alot of the issues in the early GTIs worked out like some of the engine design issues us early MK5 people have to look after like the fuel pump cam follower and PCV/DV valves. I have drove both and would take the GTI hands down.

10. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Yeah I definitely want the performance aspect and the power difference between the two is pretty big.

11. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

GTI would be my choice.

12. cheeseenlo

cheeseenlo Birth of a Detailer

If you compare the Mazda3 and the GTI both in sedan trim. I would definitely go hands-down with the GTI. I'm not too fond of the 2010 Mazda3's. The 09's look a lot better IMO. The GTI MK5 is an awesome car. Great power and handling. You get creature comforts as well for such a sporty car.

Going on, I might be a bit biased on this because I do own a Legacy GT. But every time this topic comes up about recommended sports sedans I always recommend them the Legacy. You don't see these cars out on the road often. They're pretty unique and most people can't recognize what type of cars these are. That's what really made me look into them. I'm on a dedicated LGT forum all the time. These cars are extremely reliable. Of course, Subie's AWD. But being a forced induction car just like the GTI, you must do all regular maintenance in a timely fashion. You will love the sound of the spooling turbo, its quite addictive.

13. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

On price, I'm not sure it's fair to compare the GTI to a non-Speed Mazda3. Isn't there about a $5000 swing between the two?

14. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Yeah there is, for instance a 30K mile regular Mazda3 its around $15-$16K but for a 30K mile GTI its in the high $19's and low $20's. It is a pretty significant difference. I am just trying to be realistic and I think the Mazda3 is going to be more in my price range but that is why I am waiting until after the first of the year when I see what price changes are going to be and how eager dealers are going to be to get them off the lot.

15. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

How about a Mazdaspeed3?

16. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I am really considering the Mazdaspeed3 but I need to call my insurance company to get a quote on it. The Mazda3 and GTI are reasonable.

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have been driving german cars since I was 17 and wouldn't own anything else, even with maintainance issues. Having said that, you really have to consider where your priorities lie. Do you want to have a great time in your car? Then get the GTI and live with the possible maintainance. The Mazda3's are nice and reliable, but not in the same league as the GTI for fit and finish, refinement etc. Go drive both and decide after that but remember, if the sales guy doesn't throw up, the test drive doesn't count!

18. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I've detailed a couple Mazda3s, and I have to say, it's a fantastic car. They look good, they drive GREAT, they're reliable as the sunrise, have loads of room, and are comfortable. If I were in your position, I'm not sure I'd even look at anything else.

It's no rocketship in a straight line, though, so if that's your thing, you might want to look elsewhere. Certainly, it's "fast enough" for a daily driver, but if speed is what you're after, I'd spend the extra $4K or so and get the Speed model. Which is everything I like about the 3, with 100 more HP. :headbang:

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

If you decide on a Mazda3 ( probably after taking a blow with a blunt instrument ) you can get them up here new for just over $20k.

20. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

Just called the insurance company and coverage for the Mazda3 and the GTI are the exact same. Makes my decision tougher. From my standpoint I really like the GTI and anyone I know who owns German cars swear by them and say if you maintain it right you will never go wrong with them just like Ken said, and the GTI just seems like a hoot. The Mazda3 however is just as attractive without the performance but I could get a speed3 with 25K miles for aroudn $20K so that might be even more of a possibility. I guess we will see.