Festool Shinex

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Got Wax, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

So, I had the opportunity to give the new Shinex a spin. So far, the unit is pretty comfortable. The Shinex is about 4" longer than my Flex rotary but, about the same size otherwise. Motor is smooter and MUCH quieter than the Flex. Bonus is the low RPM range - starting at 400 rpm. Other end of the spectrum is top end is only 2k rpm. But, for my application, 2k is plenty. It has the typical side, screw-in handle, which I've no use for. I wish this unit had the bale handle like my 9227. The new Rotex is better than the previous model - tad more stable than the previous model and again, WAY quieter than my Flex DA.

One thing, both tend to warm up pretty fast - just like the Flex.

A couple corrections coming the next 10 days. More to come...

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

where did you get the shinex from? what model # is it?

3. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

It's a secret..... :tiptoe:

Andy, can't wait to see the pics and the polisher in action!

4. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

So, I have to say, I'm kinda having some concerns about the Festool. I spent about 10 hours on a correction today and the bearings sound as though they have sand in them. And, it is beginning to get a tad louder. We'll see how tomorrow pans out..

[​IMG]

5. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

Wow! I sure want to know how this turns out. Why can't you tell where and how much?

6. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

PM sent

7. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Undercover KGB agent that smuggled it out of eastern europe in amongst a boat load of illegal immigrants :applause2:

8. MisterShark

MisterShark Birth of a Detailer

Festool tools are unGodly-expensive but are supposed to be the tops.

I'm a Porter-Cable fan myself, with all of my woodworking/pneumatic tools coming from them, so I'm not opposed to spending a few dollars for quality tools. That said, I still would have to take out a second morgage if i was to replace my workshop's power/air tools with Festool stuff.

9. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

How does it compare to your Makita? Doesn't really seem like it's worth it for the extra price.

10. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Makita is a GREAT tool!!!! The big plus is the Bale handle on the Makita!!! And, it's priced a bit more within reach and easily replacable!!

11. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

do you think festool come with the quality with that $$$$? or is it just ok?

12. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

I really like the ergonomics of the Shinex but, it is missing the bail handle like the Makita! And, it dials down to 400 rpm. But, it goes only to 2k rpm. The rotex is also a pretty good tool - I just picked up the newest generation which, according to Festool is far and away better than their previous offering of the Rotex. But, it's kinda big and clunky. Upside, you can switch from a finer finsh or a polishing mode (Basically DA to orbital) I really like my Makita!!! I like all my FLex machines as well althought they are kinda loud. I gues, end of the day, it's all going to boil down to how well the Festool stands up to the abuse.

13. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Then start abusing buddy! I'd like your opinion on this before I do what I have to to get one.

14. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Moved the Makita handle!!

[​IMG]

15. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Nice!!!

I'm amazed it fit just like that, or was there any mods involved?

16. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Fit perfect!!!

17. AMDin93103

AMDin93103 Virgin Detailer

Does the Shinex still sound sandy? I'm a huge fan of Festool...

18. Paul Dalton aka Miracle

Paul Dalton aka Miracle DB Pro Supporter

Ive been using mine non-stop since I posted the Festool shinex originally, mines fine, makes the same noise as it did when I got it.

Shinex is so much better than a Makita, and lighter which is good for ceramic clear, but with plenty of grunt!! Im never going back, its a bit like the PC v Mac scenario.

19. AMDin93103

AMDin93103 Virgin Detailer

Thank you for you accounts regarding it's reliability - I should have guessed.

I had been in contact with a Sales Rep and Service Technician a few years back.. i was going through a bunch of their machines and giving feedback from a paint polishers standpoint. Festool had their second office about 8 miles from my home but recently downsized; my contacts moved on.

Aside from balance, power and the usual critiques, I was always impressed with their hand tools' low dB rating and efficient form. I try to take it easy on my arms and ears these days.

Do I need an inside line to get the RAP and the smaller polisher mentioned in the thread you started this Spring, Paul? Anyone?

20. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

The unit never changed or made any different noises after the initial change. Maybe it just had a break-in period???