Toronto Area meet

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by bryansbestwax, Jun 12, 2009.

1. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I think the meet was pretty successful. There are some pictures of the black Subaru we did going up shortly I hope. The biggest thing is that 4 or 5 guys got to try there hand out at rotary polishing. Also, the Scholl line is absolutely amazing. Lots of good questions and hopefully enough good answers. i will organize another one in the future.:mounty:

2. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Thanks again Bryan for setting up this meet and working on my Black Obsidian Subaru Legacy 2007.

Showing us how a professional excels at this craft and mentoring us.

Can't wait for the next meet.

A big thanks to everyone in the meet working on the car and doing an amazing job. Hope you guys had fun.

The best quote of the day was: "That black looks black" :)

I learned a lot. Learning by observing first-hand is much different than learning by reading.

Here are some pictures from working on the Subaru.

Firstly, my apologies for the poor picture quality, I used my cellphone camera.

There was another digital camera used so hopefully they get uploaded.

I hope people are okay with their pictures taken, if you want any pictures removed, please let me know.

First we washed the car using the two bucket method. Saw how effective the ShMitt was.

For the wheels, one side was Grim Reaper, I forgot what was on the other side, I think Aquasol.

Then we taped the car, Bryan show us polishing on the Flex rotary using Scholl.

We took a 50/50 shot of the rear trunk lid. We could see a big difference.

I learned something important to always check the panel if it was entirely metal or if it had plastic.
    The rear trunk door of the car was half metal and half plastic. If we used a rotary on the plastic, it would have been a disaster. (thnx)

We saw how the light would become more clear once policed and how blurry it was without the polish.

We then tried Menzerna on the hood. I think it was Final Polish...can someone correct me?

I think the preference was Sholl.

It did not take that long to polish the car, we had the smaller Flex and regular Flex working at the same time.

We took the car outside and show the fruits of our labour. Hope you enjoy the sunshots and reflections. The flakes in the paint popped.

For LSP we tested two carnauba waxes for Bryan, we tested Riccardo's Wax v2 on the rear and passenger side.

For the hood and driver side, we used "Bryan's home made wax". Hope Bryan can describe the wax in more detail. The key was that it had more Bee's wax.

The Riccardo was impresive, easy-on and easy-off and it looked great. Huge difference when seen with your own eyes.

Bryan's wax was harder to remove because of the oils I think but it had a warmer look.

Of the two, I like the Riccardo for ease of use. Well see which one is more durable.

I'll post future pictures and news on testing the durability of the waxes. I'm thinking of just washing with water and soap and keep the test as pure as possible.

I'll be looking for beading and sheeting. Let me know if there is a better way to test.

For the wheel wells and tires, we used Chemical Guys Extreme Shine. It looked great and easy to use.

After working on the Subaru, we started working on the Grey Honda Civic to remove some scratches. The owner got to try the Flex on his car, you could see his excitement.

After I got home, I took out my digital camera and took some better pictures.

Hope you enjoy and my apologies for the large amount of pictures and shots.

Again Thanks Bryan and the gang for making my car look exquisite.

Attached Files:

3. richy

richy Guest

Kudos to Bryan for organizing the meet! What initative he has. It was hard to see the fruits of your labour as it was taking forever for the pics to load. No question about it though, seeing someone do it is invaluable especially if you get to try immediately afterwards. Glad the weather co-operated too.

4. dadswrld

dadswrld Birth of a Detailer

Hey Bryan, like everyone else has said 'Thanks :mounty:!!

You have done a service for all of us who needed some visual to all that written work.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer some questions, showing patience to us newbies and guiding them along while buffing, providing refreshments and gifts/prizes for those who attended. You didn't have to but you did. :applause:

I too learned a lot especially where the Flex was concerned and about a 'true' extractor. I had a few questions and you helped answer all of them and I'm greatful.

I look forward to attending another meet and I will be back for a tint. To all the guys that attended, it was my pleasure meeting you.

5. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Thanks a million for the meet Bryan. It was very very helpful and hopefully there are more and I will try my best to attend.

6. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Just took some beading pics yesterday so will hope to upload them.

However, the car got attacked by bird droppings today :(

(No wonder no one parked under this particular tree...)

Hopefully the wax has not been compromised, I ONR mixture sprayed it and dabbed it as soon as I saw it and will wash it right after work.

7. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Since Bryan started a new thread for tracking the Riccardo Wax titled: "Product Review: Riccardo Wax V2".

I'll just post pictures on this thread for Bryan's homemade wax :)

Durability test

Week 1:

View attachment 1162

The car was attacked on one night with bird poop on certain sections. So it seems to have survived the night. Some pretty tough wax.

I used a waterless solution and microfiber towels to get rid of it as soon as possible and later in the day I went for a coin wash with just water and soap to avoid compromising the test.

and Week 2:

View attachment 1163

View attachment 1164

consisted of rain so no need to wash.

Will keep capturing some pictures. Let me know if there are any specific shots needed.

Attached Files:

8. srg

srg Virgin Detailer

Bryan,

I wanted to say thank you for hosting the detailing meet. I was the one w/the camera and took the pix. I apologize for not posting them sooner as a family member had to borrow my camera to go on a trip. I certainly learned alot more coming out of that day than I did going in. I have no clue how to post pics to this thread, so I uploaded them to imageshak instead.

Here's the link to the pics: [URL=http://img199.imageshack.us/i/dsc04572e.jpg

9. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Hi All,

A bit late on week 3.

Here is what the beading looks like on week 3 for Bryan's homemade wax which seems to be weakening in beading but still there.

View attachment 1171
    Also, posting a picture of how dust and dirt accumulated.

View attachment 1172

Enjoy

Attached Files:

10. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay.
    Week 4 did not have rain and the car was in okay condition so no pics..

So here is the beading on week 5.

Does not look it has much life anymore.

What do you think?
    View attachment 1193

View attachment 1194

Attached Files:

11. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

My apologies for lack of updates, trying to get over ankle injuries and lack of rain so have not had a chance to check the beading :(

Suffering from withdrawal of not detailing these few weeks :(

12. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Hi All,

Odd, I thought I posted an update on the testing but did not see it.

Anyways, re-posting my update from Oct. 10:
    =================
    Hi All,

Again, my apologies for the lack of updates.
    Ankle is feeling better. Not enough to wash the car but could take it out and take some pictures.

View attachment 1279

View attachment 1280

View attachment 1281

View attachment 1282

We've had some rain the past few days but before that, no rain at all.

Anyways, I've attached a few recent pictures from my blackberry.

The beading is died down quite a bit but it is still beading but much less than before. Not sure if it is compromised by a dirty surface since I have not had a chance to wash the car (a severe case of OCD withdrawal...)

There is still beading in some areas.

Gloss is still there but the slickness has died down a bit as well.

Will keep taking pictures and hopefully get a wash as well.

Overall, we're almost at the 3 month mark for durability.
    =================

Just an update for Week 14 (Oct. 29) because there was some rain recently but I did not have my camera. After washing the car using the two-bucket method last week, the slickness was wearing off even more but after the wash, the beading improved a little so I guess the accumulation of dirt and dust affected the previous pics. Still, the beading was not as tight compared to the other areas I re-waxed recently.

Hopefully raining today so I could take some more recent pictures.

So we're past the 3 month mark. Maybe it'll get to 4.

Attached Files: