Does detailing emit hazardous materials?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by slimmn, Jul 20, 2009.

1. slimmn

slimmn Virgin Detailer

I encounter jerks like that all the time when I represent my clients in City Council meetings about their site improvement plans (my day job is an engineer - boring, but it pays the bills). It never bothered me since it was business. One example - I've had people yell at my client because they installed lighting at a high school football field. You moved near a high school football field, and you're bitching about the lighting?? This time it's hitting a little too close to home, no pun intended.

Yes, my pride is bruised a little, but it was more her approach than the issue. I wouldn't have minded it that much if she asked me what I was doing, and asked me politely if I could change a few things, but she came out with her guns blazing, and started accusing me right away. We never had any issues in the past. I've even moved their garbage bin from the curb when they were out of town, and helped her husband blow snow from their driveway during the reallty heavy storms. Guess I'm not going to be that stupid anymore :dupe:

Thank for all the advice. I'm a little calmer now, and will swallow some of my pride moving forward. Just needed to vent. You guys are really good listeners.

2. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

One a side note, whenever I polish I wear a respirator now. Breathing in the dust is bad for your lungs and I'm pretty sure I was getting nose bleeds from all the dust. I HIGHLY suggest everyone wears a respirator while polishing.

3. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Wow you guys are a tuff bunch.:pye:

I have a Neighbor who I can't shake. :shakehead: When He see's Me pull up in a car, he's out tha door heading my way. He means no ill will, lost his Wife and has nothing to do. But I have to admit, him asking Questions and trying to carry on a conversation while I'm working can be quite distracting.:bla2::bla2::bla2:

I have tryed every method to shake the fellow, but nothing works. He ain't going no where:giggle:

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

+1

MSDS

Read the manufacturers application instructions and then obtain and read the MSDS sheet to ascertain the chemicals used, although it should be said that an MSDS is a document that contains details of the hazards associated with a particular chemical and provides information regarding its safe use. The MSDS is required to state the chemical's risks, safety and impact on the environment.

Environmental Commitment- always responsibly dispose of all non-biodegradable materials from your vehicle cleaning in a responsible manner

Protection from Potential Health Hazards
    1.Eye Protection: I would strongly advise the wearing of safety glasses or visor when operating any machine polisher.
    2.Other Protective Equipment: The constant pitch of a polishing machine could affect your hearing so wearing ear plugs would be wise to protect you from hearing loss.
    3.Respiratory Protection: Materials such as aluminium oxide (Aluminium oxide is on EPA's TRI list if it is a fibrous form) or silicon carbide (Nuisance particulate-Accumulation in lungs) used in polishes and compounds, and powdered fillers (Crystalline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis). They represent a hazard to your lungs and may cause respiratory distress. Use a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge should be worn while using them
    4.Protective Gloves: With the verity of chemicals a detailer uses on a daily basis wearing Nitrile rubber cloves will protect your hands
    5.Material Safety Data Sheets: Use a ring binder or other filing system to ensure the appropriate MSDS is always available to identify hazardous substances
    6.Work Hygienic Practices: Rinse cloves under running water before removing them

5. slimmn

slimmn Virgin Detailer

After reading some of the replies, I was just thinking I should be doing the same. Any idea where I can buy the respirators? I suppose I could start at one of the local hardware chains.
    I also noted how loud the Flex is compared to the PC. Guess I'll be picking up some ear plugs too.

6. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

This is part of the MSDS sheet from 3M Extra Cut...

"8.2.3 Respiratory Protection
    Avoid breathing of vapors, mists or spray. Select one of the following NIOSH approved respirators based on airborne concentration of contaminants and in accordance with OSHA regulations: Half facepiece or fullface air-purifying respirator with organic vapor cartridges and P95 particulate prefilters. Consult the current 3M Respiratory Selection Guide for additional information or call 1-800-243-4630 for 3M technical assistance."