Spacer for Makita

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Reflect, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

After seeing Bernhard's idea for a spacer for his Flex to make it easier around roof rails, it got me to thinking that I should get one made for my 9227c. Would anyone else be interested? I was also maybe thinking about adding race bike foam grip tape to the outside of the spacer in case it bumps the rails or trim, reminiscient of the PC Guard from Show Car Detailing. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    Picture rights to Bernhard (awesome idea)

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I know Nica had some made, but his were to convert M14 threaded BP to fit on a 5/8" threaded machine. I've wanted one too. Yes, get them made.

3. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Thats really a cool idea. I love how it has been made to be as narrow as possible to get into all the tight spaces :thumb:

4. Bernhard

Bernhard Birth of a Detailer

It works great, I have 2 different length, and I used the long one there just to test it's stability.. And I've put green 3M masking tape around them now to protect different rails etc..

BTW mine fits on both my Makita and my Flex..

5. wagonproject

wagonproject Jedi Nuba

6. Reflect

7. Reflect

How much did it cost you to get fabricated? If your friend didn't charge you, how much do you think it'd cost you?

8. Bernhard

I didn't pay anything, you can go to a machineshop and they will fabricate one for you, it probably takes them 2 seconds and you can get the lenghts you want... And I prefer the round ones, not the one that Wagonproject linked to, they can do more damage to since it has all those edges..

9. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Interested!

10. Reflect

Didn't even think about the edges, good call. The Show Car Detailing PC Guard is like a flat foam with a little bit of cushion, I wanna try something like that instead of painters tape. Hopefully this turns out well, I need to find a machine shop.

11. Bernhard

Good luck:)

12. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I was just thinking about this earlier, when I was looking at some small pads for my rotary. Would definitely be interested. 4" sounds like a good length. 6" might be a tad too big.

13. slanguage

I wanted one not for roofs, but to get into tight areas like around the areas where the bootom of the mirros are so close to the door. a great idea either way.

14. Reflect

I'll make one for you thats a foot or two long just for fun. :headbang:

15. slanguage

:lol:

Then I could buff engines :D

16. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

I called a few machine shops around my area when I was looking for a m14 to 5/8 adapter and they charge normal shop rate $80/hr ++ and would take at least an hour they said. :shrug: Just my experience..

17. Nica

Nica Banned

These extensions are great tools, I've been using mine for a few years now and they sure come in handy. I was able to get a machine shop to manufacture quite a few for me but I'm still waiting for them to complete the second batch, the first batch went fast. The second batch will consists of both 5/8th to M14 adaptors and 5/8th to 5/8th. I wasn't going to do the 5/8th to 5/8th but one of the members requested it any who when you guys get them you'll wonder how you got by with out them.

18. slanguage

cool beans. thanks Nica!

19. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I also got myself a 2 inch long m14 to 5/8th adaptor and it works great. You can either weld 2 different size of metal together or get a machinary shop to get it done in a piece.

20. Simz

Simz Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Any good hardware store should have ''coupling nut'' Imagine an 5/8th nut. but 3 inch long. Then you put a 5/8th stud ( or an 5/8 bolt with cutted head.) And you locking the stud with either an set screw or a cotter pin. Really easy to make. It look a little bit gansta. but if well made. it will work!!