P21S TAW and S100 Cycle Cleaner: Same thing?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by mb43, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Well there have been different opinions on whether these are the same thing, so I decided to find out. I picked up 5L of S100 today at my local Harley-Davidson dealership for $45+ tax= $48.25.
    [​IMG]

Color
    There is a clear distinction, S100 is yellow and P21S is orange.

[​IMG]

Consistency
    The consistency is the same. When I poured them in the cups they had the same amount of bubbles. They feel the same when I rubbed them on my finger, and they left the same residue that took a few seconds to wipe off with a paper towel.

Odor
    They both have the same basic smell, but the P21S has an additional citrus odor, it just smells like the S100 with oranges mixed in.

Performance

COMING THIS WEEKEND

If anyone has any suggestions for other tests I will be glad to do them.

If I can draw any conclusions so far, is that they are different products. P21S must have more citrus to fight the grease. S100 might be a good substitute for half the cost though, I'll find out this weekend when I do a lot more tests on it.

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Oh, this is good!

I was wondering the same thing.

3. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

I've used them both side by side and aside from the color and slight smell difference they are the same product. TAW cleaned no better than S100.

4. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

That's interesting and good to know. So far it seems like TAW has an extra ingredient, but it must not be significant. I wonder why they bother to make two different formulas that give the same results.

5. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

I just realized that the S100 has the same odor as P21s wheel gel.

6. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

I have tried both and cannot tell a difference in their cleaning abilities...will be interested in your findings for sure!

7. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

I was told there polishing soaps are the same also. P21S & S100.

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

It's one of life's great mysteries :lol:

Clearly, since they smell different, and look different, they are, strictly speaking, "different." But from a performance standpoint, I'm with JL - I can't tell a difference.

Wait, there's one difference. I can get a liter of S100 at the Harley dealer just down the road for eight bucks. Can't do that with TAW :applause2:

9. edwinbong

edwinbong DB Forum Supporter

been wondering this as well too!

10. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

P21S has great marketing skills. That's all it boils down to. They have P21S, S100, and R222. I have done a comparison in the past between P21S councours and S100 waxes, and the only differences I found were color, and the S100 was a tad softer. Both yielded the same results. That's why I just sold my P21S, and am keeping the S100.

11. edwinbong

edwinbong DB Forum Supporter

will be stopping by the harley shop reallllll soon...do they have all sizes there? or is the 5l a special order type of deal?

12. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Yes all sizes.

13. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

They usually have all the sizes they carry however just a warning don't go looking for the S100 wheel gel (which is just like P21s wheel gel) in a 5L container. They don't make the S100 wheel gel in a 5L container.

14. Drsuce

Drsuce Any Rag Vehicle Washer

upon reading this thread i also picked up s100 wax and TCC, i have not tried the TCC yet but the s100 wax is just awesome! goes on like butter and removes even nicer ;) tho the TCC was $19.95 canadian :(

15. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

Here's another Harley dealer find - S100 polishing soap. I figured that, if anyone knows how to keep chrome looking good, it's the Harley guys. I used this S100 stuff on the bumpers of the F250 to remove some staining, and it worked very well. $10/pot, and it looks like it'll last me pretty much forever :applause2:

16. cshorey

cshorey Any Rag Vehicle Washer

So last year in January I just sent an e-mail to the company and asked them the differences about a few of there products. (I got the e-mail address off their website, to be specific I sent it to the S100 contact address, but really if you look at the e-mail accounts they all go to the same place)

here is their response:

Just an FYI for everyone. But I am very curious about the findings. If you are looking for a test, maybe based on their response here you try to break down/cut some grease with each.

chris

17. mb43

mb43 Obsessive Detailer

Thanks for the info Chris. I bet that's why I noticed an additional citrus scent/color in the P21S.

I apologize to everyone, but I only had a small amount of P21S and I spilled it... so unfortunately I can't do a comparison. Maybe I'll pick up more of hte P21S on my nxt order form Phil though.