Riccardo and OPT QD hazing?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Nikku, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

Hey everyone,

Have you guys ever had issues with the combination of Riccardo yellow clay and optimum QD as a lube making weird hazing? It seems like after I clay, the valleys of the paintwork hazes and I can't get it out without a light polishing. It seems like some sort of residue is being left behind Any thoughts? It never happened before and I'm wondering if it's because OPT QD has a shelf life or they clay has a shelf life.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes i know a picture says a thousand words but I don't have any.

Cheers,
    Nick

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I've found OID to haze on it's own if not buffed off constantly until dry. So that's my guess. I use Meg's LT 1:1 or ONR ( at clay lube dilution) for clay lube.

3. Nikku

Nikku Jedi Nuba

thanks for the info. That's not cool that it hazes lolol :p

4. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I just have never used OID because of the extra shine it has. I figure I don't want ANYTHING on my paint after claying, so that's why I prefer ONR (or just water with Bilt Hamber clay)

5. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Yeah i actually dont use OID anymore because i felt like it hazed like crazy. Fast way to ruin a great detail...ONR will still leave something behind in the shine department. Best option here IMO is the BH clay with water like pektel said

6. Denzil

Denzil Guest

I feel that OID is best for cleanups as it does haze for it to be buffed off. For claying, I just use Meg's LT because it works better and doesn't really leave much, if anything, behind.

7. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I have also found OID to haze, which is too bad because it leaves a nice finish until the hazing ruins it.

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

The others are right on the money. OID can haze. I've found my best results come from using two towels when using it as a QD - a "wet" towel, and a "dry" towel. I think it's great stuff, but the potential for it to haze has kept me from using it as a clay lube.

Most often, I use ONR, mixed per their directions for clay lube dilution. Works well and very cost effective that way.

9. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

OID sucks

10. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

noob question.....whats OID? i checked the acronym list and it wasn't there.

11. Charlies02GLS

Charlies02GLS Jedi Nuba

Optimum Instant Detailer

12. blackjz

blackjz Jedi Nuba

i dont agree with that
    OID for me is one of best qd around..it gives slickness and a bit wet look on the paint..and has anti static property...

as for clay lube, i always use ONR mixed with H2O as directed..
    cheers

13. dtaildood

dtaildood Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I just bout a bottle of OID, should I maybe think of dilluting it 5:1 instead? Ugh not liking this thread lol I was so excited to use OID as my new clay lube of choice!

14. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Try it out before you pass judgement dtaildood. Just because some people have problems doesn't mean you will. I don't have any with mine and I dilute it as instructed ;)

15. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

Hey sorry to thread hijack, but I got a sample of ONR from a forum member here. What are the dilution ratios? And do I use tap or distilled water?

Thanks!

16. dtaildood

Well I guess I dont really have a choice with the bottle sitting in my room ; )
    Plus how can you pass up wanting to use what smells like bubblegum. Not really passing judgement just opening my eyes a bit as I thought this stuff was some a the best going. Seems Im going to have to run this lubricant a little more carefully now.

17. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Best of luck man! Oh, by the way, if you're a fan of the bubblegum smell, stay away from Zaino Z16 ;) hehe

18. dtaildood

<closes eyes and ears> lol

19. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Has anyone ever diluted OID with water , say 1:1 or 1:2 or otherwise in efforts of reducing/eliminating the haze?

20. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I do know some people who use OID concentrate dilute it more (1:4-5) for clay barring. OID in 32oz, and gallon size is concentrated and normal dilution is 1:3. Only the 16oz bottle of OID is not diluted and is ready to go.

I personally dont like using QDs like OID for claying as it leaves behind gloss amplifiers and other polymers, rather use ONR as it has less concentration of polymers for gloss thus you can see the surface better and more of a true image of surface imperfections.