M105 Problems

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by TheJakeR, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TheJakeR

TheJakeR Any Rag Vehicle Washer

So no doubt the M105 did a GREAT job removing swirls, but I had a BIG problem yesterday with the 105 clumping and sticking to the paint while compounding.

Using a white LC pad with a PC7424, the M105 started to remove swirls, but after a couple seconds of compounding, the polish looked like it clumped in certain sections of the paint, and was not even present in others. Also when trying to remove it from the paint after compounding, it was near impossible to wipe away. I had to wet the spots with quick detailer to even get them to begin to come off.

There was also a LOT of dust when using it....

I was sure to use a good amount of it, not too much/too little, but the application/removal of this product sucked... I REALLY want the 105 to work; I was amazed at the sriwl removal it gave me, but if it is really this hard to apply/remove, I don't think I can let this product into my detailing arsenal.

Any recommendations/past experiences with the 105 that could help me avoid these problems? Thanks!!

2. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Hey...TheJakeR...It sounds like to much product... I have had this happen to me but I use a Rotary not a DA. I can't be sure because I never used DA before. Maybe it's time for you to make the switch To a Rotary.You sure sound fairly smart. You know whats going on...:thumb:

3. TheJakeR

yea... it might be time. Just sent you a PM on the subject.

For the meantime, can anyone else that has used the 105 with a DA chime in?

4. TheJakeR

yea... it might be time. Just sent you a PM on the subject.

For the meantime, can anyone else that has used the 105 with a DA chime in?

5. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Are you using the New D.A. approved version of M105 (Ultra Cut Compound?)

M105 was originally intended to be used via rotary buffer only, and not by Dual Action Polisher. Many people who used M105 with a DA had similar problems as those you have described, that is why Meguiar's went back to the lab to reformulate the product to be more DA user friendly. It may just be that you are using the wrong version, which will work with a DA, but will be more problematic.

As a rule of thumb when using this product, make sure to clean your buffing pads often so that you don't accumulate too much product over the face of the pad. Also, try using less product as you are currently using, and shrink the size of the area you are working on to
    1'X1'.

I have tried both versions of this product, and can honestly say that the newer DA approved version works very well with a DA/PC. It's also an improvement when working with the rotary, as the working time of this product has greatly improved.:thumb:

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Well first off just to be clear unless you have the new M105 D/A formula,you should be using a rotary. Some are able to get good results with a D/A, but Meg's does NOT recommend it. They have a new formula for D/A use. Gumming is a problem with M105 for alot of people, but it's correction and finishing capabilities or so good it's worth getting the hang of using this polish IMO. I'd rather you get info straight from the source.
    I copied a couple links for you to explore.....

M105 Tip - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
    M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online
    M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

I just seen erik posted. But this will still help.

7. TheJakeR

damn.... i could be using the different version. I purchased the bottle not longer than a week ago, so I don't know if that is the case, that i picked up the older version (ordered i from autogeek).

So am I just SOL and I ordered the wrong product?

Where is a link to the DA M105? I'd like to compare it and see what is different about it. I don't know if autogeek sells the DA approved one; maybe I can get them to do a return for me.

If I am using the Rotary 105 with now with the PC, is there anything I can do to minimize the results I got? (besides what you listed above)

8. Erik Mejia

Erik Mejia Obsessive Detailer

Try slowing the buffer down a bit. Use speed 4 on the DA, and slow your arm speed a bit. You can also mist/ prime the new/ clean pad with a few squirts of distilled water, or a quality QD. Moisten the pad a bit but don't saturate it.:thumb:

9. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

10. Jam

Jam Virgin Detailer

I believe autogeeks has the non DA version. You can check the back of the bottle to see if it is DA approved.