The Unofficial 5/8ths to M14 adapter Thread?

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by MrPolished&Waxed, Jan 24, 2009.

1. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both of these will be cut in half. It will make the overall length about 2". I think Nica's has the entire nut, so he could actually cut his down and make it the same as mine. I am going to try to get this put together this week either weld or some of this black automotive glue that you use in place of welding.

The nut was $3.20 and the bolt was $2.25.

2. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Not bad, Not bad at all. That was very smart of you..:thumb:

3. matrix_808

matrix_808 DB Supporter

Nice idea, keep us informed.

4. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

5. Nica

Nica Banned

Not a bad idea MrPolished&Waxed..but here is what I was told about this idea.

Well the problem with welding is that it creates a weak link, meaning that over time the weld "could" give/break...ofcourse this depends on how good the person/machine welding the peaces is. But even the best welders eventually give...so that's why the machine shop made me the adaptor they did, it's made from one chunk of stainless steel, no welding so in "theory" no weak link....well that's what I was told :shrug:...but like I said there is nothing wrong with the idea...keep us posted.

6. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

The one at abrasives4sale does not exist. I also emailed south shore mfg too so just waiting on their email to see when its back in stock...

7. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Thanks for the heads up.

8. cupcakez

cupcakez Any Rag Vehicle Washer

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

10. Purplewidow

Purplewidow Obsessive Detailer

first thing i thought of was the weak link created by welding also..but it depends on the type of weld and it is so small i highly doubt you could make it very stable esp with the vibration from a rotary over time.. i would be scared working on a ferrari or hell even my baby 335 with a welded setup like that.. but that day may never come..you cuould do it then stress test it to see how strong it is till it breaks..you would need a meter of course..sounds like a job for the myth busters. good luck

11. MrPolished&Waxed

MrPolished&Waxed Obsessive Detailer

that will be great for all those europeans wanting our US backing plates.....:shead:

12. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Actually they usually have what we want.

13. ggk

ggk Jedi Nuba

technically a weld should be stronger than the surrounding metal. as long as the weld has good penetration it should never break.

the reason people machine the adapters is because putting it on a machine is easier and faster than taking the time to cut and weld the pieces together(Because getting it perfectly centered is tough)but it is more expensive than if you can weld it yourself.

14. Nica

Nica Banned

See that's what I thought too, but then the guys at the machine shop gave me the following as an example:

When you take a truck to get a hitch installed you'll never get the system welded on, it's actually bolted. They used to weld the hitches but over time the weld would weaken and eventually give.

To be honest I don't know if the example I was given is a true statement...but around town it's true they bolt on a hitch to a vehicle...now I just assumed that that's because it's easier to bolt peaces to a vehicle rather then weld them to frame of a vehicle...but I honestly don't have a clue about hitch installation..just repeating what I was told...which could be totally biased considering it came from the machine shop :confused:

I'm quite curious how it will turn out...but thinking about it, how much pressure would it take to break a good solid weld? I would imagine lots. The next question is how long would it take for a good solid weld to break down? I would again imagine a long time...but those are just my assumptions :shrug:

15. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Link #2 that Asphalt Rocket posted will not work either. They replied to my email above...

16. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Thanks Isaac for your research. I know I read somewhere that they do have these adapters over in Europe, now if I can remember where I read this.

17. eyezack87

eyezack87 Guest

Sure thing. I was already going to get one from Carlos but it would never hurt to have 2 you know? :p

I'll prolly keep searching for a nice alternative though :)

18. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

Nascar cages are welded in, nasa scca any race oganization that requires a cage requires weld in. Now why might that be? A good weld is stronger than the material surrounding it. If welding was so weak, why would the frames on our cars and motorcycles be welded? Dont you think they would be bolted together if welding was so weak.

19. ggk

ggk Jedi Nuba

yeah the machine shop is bias because it is easier for them to machine it.
    they bolt them in because it is easier to prepare for installation and quick removal.
    the only problem with welding is technically when you are introducing rust, so it has to be cleaned and protected.

20. Nica

Nica Banned

I would have to agree with you, I'm no expert on the matter just repeating what I've been told and to be honest I just ignore what I'm told at the machine shop...all I want is for the item to do what it's supposed to do, so what ever it takes to get the job done is fine with me, I just wanted an adaptor and my machine shop just made it for me...I didn't care for for details...I just wanted an adaptor that's all :thumb:

Yea I assumed it would be easier to install and remove, but that was just me guessing :shrug: