Gumming Polishes

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by std aja de, Dec 4, 2008.

1. std aja de

std aja de Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Hi all,

Just wanna ask you something. Why some of polishes sometimes start gumming when I'm working with them? How can I fight out with this? :help:

Thanks for you attention

2. pirex

pirex DB Certified Dealer

Maybe you are using to mutch polish? And it can be smart to spray som water on the pad, and spread the products on a panel. Just to get the extra polish out of the pad.

3. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Cleaning / replacing pads

Clean often with a soft fairly stiff brush or pad spur (Duospur).

4. std aja de

Hmmmm... sometime I feel that I don't get enough polishes.

Anyway, Could it cause by the "soft paint"?

Hmmm nice to try, I always clean my pad after working 2-3 panels hahaha

5. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

i was told it also happens if teh cars been thru Drive-Thru car washes which uses Silicone, that is what Gums up your pad, because your removing the layer of Silicone...

6. Nica

Nica Banned

All good points, and the silicone through car washes is true, shocking but so true.

It can only be the type of clear coat that's on the vehicle, I experianced this and the only recommendation I can give is try a different polish. I was using Menzerna and due to clear coat it just didn't work, created a mess, flashed really quick and was leaving lots and lots of holograms. So switched to 3M UK Polish and that solved it for me. If you don't have any other polish you'll togh it out and make sure you clean your foam pad regularly other wise it just gets worse.

Hope this helps.

7. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Never heard of that before.:shead:
    I never use them but what causes that or the reasoning?

8. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

Its the "Wax" they use to give your car the Just Waxed Look... its Silicone based and it sticks to your paint... Not a bad thing, but a pita to remove when your Polish your car...

9. Strokin04

Strokin04 Birth of a Detailer

Wouldn't claying it before polishing remove the silicone or whatever the previous LSP was?

10. Dream Machines

Dream Machines Jedi Nuba

another problem that does occur is that the paint system is dry and or become porous
    polishing dry and or porous paint causes the paint to absorb the polish and dry it out quickly and causing gumming

this needs to be chemically deep cleaned first with any one or all of these combo's

Glare Pro Polish or Micro finish with hand foam pad or orbital
    Toughseal step 1 and or four star UPC - orbital
    Glare Zero and Knockout - rotary and orbital

also don't forget about sticky clear coats which from 1250 + rpm with a rotary, becomes warm/hot and sticky causing drying and gumming of any polish
    My recommendation for that is Parrafin oil in a spray bottle onto the pad before each section of paint is polished

11. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

Silicone is probaly tooo thin and smooth for the Clay to remove....

12. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

The Removal of Silicone - detailer's clay and polishing are both mechanical processes, silicon is a product that has been designed not to be removed by mechanical abrasion. When using Menzerna, to polish surfaces which have been previously treated with silicon, a smear may result. It is important to understand why this occurs.

Cause - There are lots of silicon oils on the market. The properties that make silicon so popular with car detailers, and some auto manufacturers, also make it a very difficult product for the polisher to remove. During polishing, the silicon mixes with the excess paint that is being removed from the surface to form a smear.

Can you remove silicon from a clear coat completely? It is impossible to remove silicon from a painted surface without using a chemical process so aggressive that it dissolves the paint. Wax and grease removers will chemically remove one layer of silicon off at a time but are unable to completely remove all the silicon. Tests by Dr Michael Hauber at Menzerna using a spectroscope showed the layers become thinner but the silicon remains. Removing silicon completely can take place over time and involves a lengthy process of oxygen, chemicals, time and sunlight.

* Preparation- If the car has been treated with a silicon based product, use a wax and grease remover to remove as much of the silicon as possible before polishing. You will not be able to remove it all but it helps.

* When a silicon-free polish works on the surface of paint it uses aluminium oxide spheres, suspended in water and hydrocarbons and a mechanical process to abrade the surface of the paint down to the level of the bottom of the scratch. Silicon cannot be removed this way. Silicon is removed by a chemical means and is designed to resist being removed by mechanical means. Instead the silicon mixes with the blend of paint dust and polish powder and it creates a smear on the paint.
    We should differentiate between swirl marks in the silicon layer and swirl marks in the paint underneath. Some polishes may appear to remove the swirl marks in the paint but are really only working on the layer of silicon. So the swirl marks in the paint itself remain unaffected by the polishing and reappear after a few weeks, as the silicon is being removed by time.

A mild Chemical process - use Hi-Temp's Prep Wash to prepare a paint surface for polishing, compounding, wax and / or polymer sealant application (especially if changing from a wax to a polymer product) this is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior paint surface, residue from polishing products accumulate in crevices, around handles, wiper arms, on trim, luggage racks, and aerodynamics. Hi-Temp's Prep Wash flows into these hard-to-reach areas and dissolves the build-up. Prep Wash can be used to cleanse the finish before painting, and you can use it after buffing or levelling applications. It prepares the surface for the proper bonding of waxes, glazes and paint sealants. If this is not done properly, applied products may not bond, which will cause heavy streaking. It may be diluted, but is always used sparingly at any strength. Mist a cloth or sponge and wipe over the surface. Wipe dry with a clean towel. Hi-Temp's Prep Wash - Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies.

Alternative product – DuPont's PrepSol , PrepAll or Acrysol Silicone Remover.

13. Duratys

Duratys Welcome to Detailing

Now Im confused. :shead:

So can silicone be removed or not?

14. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Can you remove silicon from a clear coat completely? It is impossible to remove silicon from a painted surface without using a chemical process so aggressive that it dissolves the paint.

15. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

I am confused, knowing that silicon is hard to remove, does silicon pose any harmful effect to the paintwork? I am worried because many products seems to have silicon content..

16. Zookie

Zookie Jedi Nuba

now now, i am not affraid of my girlfriend...:thumb:

17. Alex T.

Alex T. Virgin Detailer

How safe is to use Prep Was, PrpSol etc. ? Should it be used only before polishing or lets say that if I want o strip the lsp to apply something difrent 6 time a year it will ok to use one of those products?

18. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Thanks Zookie Silicon (we all love that) Silicon e 99% of detailing products contain it.

dschia - Silicones are inert and very stable; they resist the effects of water, heat, and oxidizing agents. They will not harm anything

AlexT - The products you mentioned are all excellent paint surface cleaning / prep type products and will not harm a paint surface

19. std aja de

Thanks for your information about this. Really appreciate it :D

Hmmm I usually use optimum polish for polishing but I also have 3M Ultrafina SE for my back up polish and it's really works as what I expected :headbang:

And maybe I should try to cleaning my pad as often as I can :D

Thanks for your reply bro. But I don't think so my car's paint is dry / become porous because It's only 1 month old when I polished :D By the way, thanks for your info, maybe it will be usefull next time :D

Hmmm should I use "all purpose cleaner" (ex: TAW) for removing the silicone?